Topics in this newsletter include:
- President’s Message: Task Force Highlights New Year
- Editorial: Our Own Best Ally
- 2003 Annual Meeting Review: Critical Care in the Forefront
- ASCCA Past President Selected for Prestigious Women in Leadership Program
- The Malpractice Insurance Crisis: What You Can Do for Your Practice
- Six Tax-Saving Ideas for 2003: Plan This Year and Save Next April 15
- Abstract Submission Information
- Abstract Submission Form
- Critical Care Book Review
- Annual Meeting
- Book & Media Reviews
- Call for Articles
- Case Reports
- Clinical Research Consortium
- Committee Reports
- Council Report
- Editor’s Message
- Featured Articles
- Literature Survey
- Member Spotlight
- Patient Safety Series
- President’s Corner
- Research Updates
- Social Media Highlights
- Submission Guidelines
- Topical Review
- Wellness Series
- Work-Life Balance
- Volume 31 | Issue 2 | July 2020
- Volume 31 | Issue 1 | March 2020
- Volume 30 | Issue 4 | November 2019
- Volume 30 | Issue 3 | August 2019
- Volume 30 | Issue 2 | May 2019
- Volume 30 | Issue 1 | January 2019
- Fall 2018
- Summer 2018
A new working group has been approved by SOCCA’s Board of Directors! Dr. Alisha Bhatia, MD, Vice Chair of the SOCCA Membership Committee, will be the leading the Early Career Anesthesia Intensivists Working Group.
If you or a colleague would be interested in learning more and getting involved, please join us for a virtual gathering on Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 5pm CT (6 pm ET). Click here to register and review the meeting details.
The REMAP-CAP investigators recently reported that treatment with the IL-6 receptor antagonists tocilizumab and sarilumab improved outcomes—including survival—in critically ill adults with COVID-19. See the pre-print here.
A Message from SOCCA’s President
Dear fellow members: SOCCA’s enthusiasm is unmatched! I would like to thank you for your strong participation in the recently distributed ASA survey for difficult airway guidelines. Our Society was the 3rd highest respondent, surpassing even bigger and national societies!
Thanks again for your participation and passion for advancement of the specialty!
Miguel Cobas, MD, FCCM
In this COVID-19 infographic, the prevalence and impact of coagulopathy is reviewed, the predictors of disease severity are highlighted, treatment options are described, and areas of clinical uncertainty are identified.
Source: COVID-19 Coagulopathy and Inflammation: The Knowns and Unknowns
Anesthesia & Analgesia131(5):1323, November 2020.
SOCCA Member Ashish Khanna, MD, FCCP, FCCM, Wake Forest School of Medicine, contributed to October 2020’s Anesthesia & Analgesia’s article: “Prediction of Opioid-Induced Respiratory Depression on Inpatient Wards Using Continuous Capnography and Oximetry: An International Prospective, Observational Trial.” Please read the original clinical research report here.
2020 ASA Meeting
Several SOCCA members are participating in the 2020 ASA Meeting, including:
- Avery Tung, M.D., FCCM, and Jonathan Charnin, M.D. on “Critical Care Year in Review”
- Meghan Lane-Fall, M.D., M.S., FCCM on “The Role of Palliative Care Among Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Critical Care”
- Michael F. O’Connor, M.D., FCCM on “Understanding Medical Accidents”
Moderators for Anesthesiology 2020 will include SOCCA members:
- Ashish Khanna, MD, FCCP, FCCM, and Lovkesh Arora MBBS, MD
- Kevin Hatton, MD, FCCM, and Gyorgy Frendl, MD, PhD, FCCM
- Pamela Roberts, MD, and Erica Wittwer MD, PhD