The Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists (SOCCA) is the sole organization dedicated to the continuation
of the role of anesthesiologists in providing critical care services.
You do not have to be an intensivist to benefit from membership
in this organization. Critical care practices are utilized in the
post anesthesia care unit, intermediate care unit, emergency department/trauma
center as well as the intensive care unit. Practitioners with clinical
case loads that are dominated by cardiac, neurosurgical, and transplant
procedures may be frequently involved in the daily perioperative
care of critically ill patients. Patients in all of these care areas
may require aggressive monitoring and state of the art perioperative
care. The continued enhancement of critical care services throughout
the perioperative period is a founding goal of SOCCA.
- SOCCA is an educational organization that fosters the role of anesthesiologists as perioperative specialists and provides for continuing education and interchange of ideas
- The Society provides representation for the practice of critical care medicine in the ASA House of Delegates
- SOCCA provides input to the ASA and Society of Critical Care Medicine on key issues related to their advocacy for patient care and reimbursement
Benefits of Membership
- Discounted pricing for the SOCCA Annual Meeting a forum for the specialist with broad-based interests, including respiratory therapy, postoperative cardiac surgical, neurological and transplant management, and trauma care
- Discounted membership in the IARS, which includes access to two peer-reviewed journals-Anesthesia & Analgesia and A&A Case Reports, free journal CME, and eligibility to apply for IARS research grants
- Free ICU Residents' Guide
- Free quarterly newsletter Interchange, which covers ethically controversial issues, survey of practice patters, and historical aspects of anesthesiology
SOCCA membership does not require formal sponsorship and can be applied for online.